Saturday, December 2, 2023

Hair loss continues- Point of No Return?


 Hi all! Earlier this year, in May, I posted about the annoying fact that my hair is thinning. It's now December 2023, and a lot more hair has "left the building". I switched from intramuscular injections of testosterone, with the intention of getting rid of big peak levels. The idea was that a low, steady, daily dose if T would slow down my hair loss. This has not shown to be the case. 

Hair loss is caused by a variety of things, effects of  testosterone converting to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and one of them is heredity, which we can't do anything about..yet. No matter what you do, those genes are with you! Anyhoo, T gel was not the magical solution for me. It may be for someone else, but my family has women with thinning hair and one bald grandfather. The odds aren't good for me. I recently got a prescription for a topical spray scalp treatment that includes monoxidil and finasteride. Finasteride, a specific and competitive inhibitor of 5α-reductase enzyme Type 2, inhibits the conversion of testosterone to DHT. DHT thins hair follicles to the point where the hairs are sooo thin that they break off immediately and the follicles die off.

I will use the product for a few months and report back if I see any improvement. I'm also doing some research into flavonoids in food that block DHT. Wish me luck..and hair! Happy holidays to one and all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment